Search, download, categorize, visualize, and optimize all of your org’s metadata with Plus. A comprehensive metadata dictionary.
Plus creates a copy of all your metadata, which lets you run reports and discover metadata relations and dependencies.
- Metadata search and download:
Download metadata in bulk. Search metadata by name or search within all apex code.
- Reports and dashboards:
Categorize metadata by the owner, objects, API version, managed packages, etc.
- Tech debt:
Run optimizer tools to identify code and configurations which can be safely deleted.
Create tickets on metadata. This will help you better organize tech debt and help you track the progress and have assignees.
Tagging allows you to categorize metadata(s) in a more informal way. Example, source, business line, project, team, etc.
- Org view:
The app also offers a quick look into your org limits, entity limits, code coverage reports, apex test results, etc.
- Code versioning:
Optionally, enable apex and formulas code versioning to help with compare and recovery.
Optionally, get a daily summary of metadata changes and suggestions on tech debt improvements.
- Install the application from the Salesforce app exchange. You can find it under the name “Plus”.
- Prerequisites. Make sure “My Domain” is enabled and deployed in your org. Add the “PlusApp” permission set for users who need to use this app.
- Once installed, open the app in lightning experience. Look for “Plus” (under Apps) in the app launcher. You should see “PlusApp” and “PlusApp Dashboard” tabs, along with few custom object tabs that come with the package.
- The “PlusApp” tab will ask you to schedule a batch. Click ‘Schedule’. This will schedule a daily batch to maintain the latest metadata copy. Also, it runs a one time batch to download the latest metadata copy.
- The app will show a warning message until the batch completes. Once it completes, you can start using the app.
Types of metadata supported
ApexClass, ApexComponent, ApexPage, ApexTrigger, AuraDefinition, AuraDefinitionBundle, LightningComponentBundle, LightningComponentResource
CustomField, CustomObject, EmailTemplate, FieldSet, Flow, Layout, PermissionSet, Profile, RecordType, StaticResource, ValidationRule, WorkflowFieldUpdate, WorkflowRule
There are different ways you can search the metadata in your org.
There are different ways you can download the metadata in your org.
- Use Plus App. Search metadata using filters and then click the ‘Export’ icon to download results in CSV format.
- Use Salesforce reports (under the Plus report folder). This is a preferred way, as you would be able to fine-tune what type of metadata you need to download, and also download in bulk with the desired export format.
Some important fields to consider using while downloading metadata
- RecordType Type of metadata like ApexClass, CustomField, etc
- NamespacePrefix Show/hide managed package components
- IsStandard? Show/hide standard metadata like objects and fields.
- IsDeleted? Show/hide inactive/obsolete/deleted metadata.
App Reports and Dashboards
Reports Categorize metadata by the owner, objects, API version, managed packages, etc.
Dashboards The app also comes with a lightning dashboard (PlusApp dashboard) giving an excellent in-depth insight into your org metadata by grouping them by the owner, objects, API version, managed packages, etc. You will be surprised to get this perspective.
View complete metadata details.
- Tooling response
Get thorough details on any metadata by looking at the tooling response. Developers will appreciate this.
- Custom notes
Add color-coded notes and share them with the team.
- Custom tags
Add custom tags to categorize metadata by source, business line, project, team, etc.
- Populate Percentage
Percentage of records this field is populated with. This is calculated when you run “FieldTrip” on an object.
- Metadata references
Identify metadata relationships and dependencies to help with metadata health and cleanup. It uses the MetadataComponentDependency Tooling API. This is calculated automatically for all metadata in your org.
- Metadata score
Roughly calculated “field health” w.r.t to Populate %, Metadata references, and several other factors. Please view the logic in the custom field “Metadata -> Metadata Score”.
- Code versioning
View apex and formulas code. Enable versioning for backup and recovery.
- Tagging allows you to categorize metadata(s) in a more informal way than assigning it to an owner or record type. Example, source, business line, project, team, etc.
- You can then search for metadata that has been given a particular tag.
- Within the app, create tickets on metadata. This will help you better organize tech debt and help you track the progress and have assignees.
- PlusApp on install asks you to schedule a batch. This batch will run each morning for a few minutes and maintain the latest metadata copy.
- Optionally, each app user could receive a daily summary email of their metadata changes and suggestions on tech debt improvements.
- As needed, app users can run metadata optimizer tools to improve org health. Some examples are calculating fields and record types populate percentage.
How to find unused fields and record types on an object?
- Open the PlusApp
- Select ‘FieldTrip -> Launch’ in menu selection.
- Select the object and optionally change the record selection criteria.
- Click ‘Submit’
- Wait for the batch to complete.
- Monitor under Setup -> Apex Jobs or under ‘App -> Services’ within the Plus app.
- View results in the PlusApp.
- Or use the report “PlusApp Service FieldTrip CustomField” or “PlusApp Service FieldTrip RecordType”
- Consider deprecating metadata with a lower “Metadata Score”